Tuesday, February 7, 2012

A momentary distraction [Short Fiction]

Life seemed to be stuck in a monotonous rut. Not that I had any complains about it but I wasn’t particularly happy either. I had a steady income, a wife who had adjusted to my life so well that I had the luxury to overlook my own children, not because I didn’t care for them but because I knew she could manage. I was walking towards my car after a regular day at work when I saw an ugly dent on the right edge of the bonnet. I had the insurance. I was calm but the thought that somebody wrecked my car and walked away free left me with an unsettled feeling. When I came a bit closer I saw a piece of paper flutter with it one edge clipped under the wiper. It read, “Sorry, a careless mistake. Was in a hurry so couldn’t wait. Call 98734-87632” an incomprehensible name was scribbled on the same paper, R… Re.. Rev… Argh some name. I tucked in the pocket and went straight to the garage to get it fixed. When the bill came up to 8k I decided to give the person a call.

What did I expect - A rough coarse voice of man, reckless, careless, picking the call only at the nth minute when the ring was about to die out. “Hello” A chirpy voice of who seemed like a charming lady spoke at the end other. A smile instantly crept on my lips. Not that I didn’t love my wife but it was the excitement of the unexpected tryst with an unfamiliar woman not initiated by myself but by chance. I glanced at the bill in my hand partly absent minded and partly unsure of my words. “I got your number on my dented car. Some hurry you were in!” She let out a big “Oh!” almost like that bit was erased from her memory and this sudden reminder had saddened her. “I am soooooo sorry!” How typical! Isn’t that what every woman says? As amusing as it was I wasn’t ready to let go of the 8k bill her sorry had caused, “Could you please let me know how I am going to be reimbursed for the damage caused?” I put it out right there like a jackass. I didn’t want to be gentleman; I didn’t want to be the good guy. I had no need to. I didn’t have to impress anybody. “Yes.. yes… That is exactly why I left my number. Oh I am Raksha by the way. And you are?”

I was waiting at the entrance of a fifteen storied structure some, Royal Arcade. When she came it was very easy to spot her. She was in hurry, almost like her feet moved at a fast pace mindlessly. Her neck was bent towards the right and her mobile locked safe between the grip of her shoulder and the tilted head. I was ready to let go of the initial impression of a dumb woman oh was she charming or what! She gave a sheepish smile when I waved my hand at her and pulled out the cash in an elegantly wrapped paper. Her transparent features played regret when she said, “I am sorry! I am soo sooo sorry!” Before I could think any better I heard myself speak, “Don’t bother. I have insurance. I just wanted to see who caused the damage. I am not disappointed I must say. A cup of coffee?”

It never occurred to me the thought of wife, the mother of my children. I flirted like a college boy, amused by every silly thing she did. Just, when, we were about part and say our goodbyes I suggested the next meet, “You are an interesting woman. You should definitely meet my wife. You both should get along very well. Do come by sometime.” Her eyebrows furrowed almost instantly and I walked away with smile. A momentary distraction and nothing more is what a man needs.

The End

5 comments:

Upasana said...

This one lift me with a big smile Sameera! Beautiful story! Great work!!I am going right ahead to read the other stories listed under short fiction!!

Ayushi said...

I like the Sam touch in this story :)
And I don't blame the man for his casual flirting too :)

Sunitha Vijayanarayan said...

You have recieved an award . Check here. ajournalcalledlife.blogspot.com

Sameera said...

@Upasana- Thank you! Glad you enjoyed it.

@Yuvika -:D

@Serendipity- :)

@Sunitha- Thank you!! :D Will drop by.

Visha said...

This is so beautifully written...never expected such an end...

You have got a fan from now Sameera ;)

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...